Thursday 10 December 2015

Recipe: Winter Warming Chicken Casserole

The weather in England has taken a blustery turn for the worse. It's cold, windy, wet and generally rather miserable - which in my opinion calls for all the comfort food, something hearty to warm your cockles. Every winter my dad used to whip up a big batch of his famous chicken casserole for me and him to enjoy, along with a nice thick chunk of crusty white bread and butter for dunking. There's nothing better than a steaming hot bowl of belly warming casserole on a cold December evening. With that in mind I have taken my dad's delicious recipe and given it a slight tweak to make it a bit of a healthier dish. 
So I thought I would share my winter warming creation with you.
If you recreate any of my recipes, please snap a picture and share it on social media, I'm @clumsybaby on Twitter and Instagram, I'd love to see them!

My recipe serves 1 - 2 people as I usually just make enough for myself, but you can adjust the recipe to feed three or more by adding a chicken breast per person and bulking out the vegetables.
 You will need:
1 medium to large sweet potato
1 skinless chicken breast
1 large leek
1 large carrot
1 onion
2 stalks of celery
1 - 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
1 chicken stock cube
1 vegetable stock cube
1 - 2 teaspoons of coconut oil, Lucy bee is my gal.

Method:
1. Cut the chicken breast, sweet potato and carrot in to chunks, then slice the leek and dice the celery and onion. The onion should be diced quite finely.
2. Melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion for four to five minutes on a medium heat, until it begins to soften.
3. Add the chicken to the pan and seal on all sides.
4. Then add the carrot and celery and fry for a few minutes.
5. Boil the kettle and mix 500ml of boiling water with both of the stock cubes, and the Worcestershire sauce.
6. Pour the stock mix in to the saucepan along with the sweet potato and cover with a lid. Leave the pan to simmer on a low heat for thirty minutes.
7. After thirty minutes have passed add the diced leeks to the pan, and simmer again for about five more minutes.
8. Check the sweet potato with the point of a knife, if they are nice and soft then your casserole is good to go.
9. Serve with a slice of wholemeal bread for dunking and enjoy!

If you make a large batch of the chicken casserole, let it cool completely before transferring to an air tight container and pop it in to the fridge. It should keep for about three days.
I hope you enjoyed this 'Winter warming chicken casserole' recipe post. Will you be recreating my recipe? What's your favourite winter comfort food? Perhaps your family have a signature dish too?
I'd love to know, leave me a lovely comment below.

Let's be friends!

Love Laurenx

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! It's such a nice belly warming dish :) x

      Delete
  2. Yum! I am such a fan of soups and stews at the moment, they are just ideal for a healthy and warming dish in this weather! x

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! So true - soups/casseroles make the perfect nutritious winter dish and you can pack it full of whatever veggies you love! x

      Delete

Hello you lovelies! Thank you for taking the time to leave a lovely comment on my blog! I appreciate and read every single comment, I will always try my best to reply as quickly as I can.
Feel free to tweet me @clumsybaby if you have question, query or just want to chit chat.

Lauren xx