Thursday 5 November 2015

Baking: Healthy Apple and Blackberry Crumble

I love crumble. In my eyes there's no other dessert that screams winter warmer more than a good ol' crumble. The buttery, crumbly, crunchy topping, covering the warm, juicy fruit underneath. I'm getting pretty hungry right now... Anyway, as much as I love a crumble it's not the healthiest of dishes, with all that butter and sugar. So I've been in the kitchen trying to come up with a 'healthier' version of a classic apple and blackberry crumble, that's much better for you, but still retains that delicious crumble topping and juicy fruit. 
I think I've nailed it, so I'm going to share my creation with you. If you recreate my crumble recipe, please tag me in any photos you share on social media, as I'd love to see them! I'm @clumsybaby on Instagram and Twitter.

Let's get cooking!

This crumble recipe is so easy peasy, and only requires five ingredients!
Serves 1

You will need:
50g of rolled oats
1 apple
Handful of frozen blackberries
2 teaspoons of Sweet Freedom (a liquid sweetener)
1 teaspoon of coconut oil (Lucy Bee is my gal)

Method:
1. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees (temperatures may vary depending on your oven)

2. Chop the apple into small chunks, and add to a pan along with the blackberries, pour hot water over the fruit until covered. Leave to gently simmer on a medium heat (I had mine on heat 3 out of 6) for about ten minutes, or until the apple has softened. 

3. While the fruit is cooking away, you can start on the 'crumble' topping. Add your oats into a bowl, melt the coconut oil in a microwave until it becomes a liquid consistency, add this along with two teaspoons of sweet freedom to the oats. Mix well until everything is combined. 

4. Once the apple has softened and the fruit is looking all soft, warm and delicious. It's time to assemble your crumble. Spoon the warm fruit into a dish, and top with the oat mixture.

5. Bake in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the top has browned. 

6. Serve your crumble with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, Greek yoghurt or enjoy as it is. 

So there you have it, a healthy, delicious fruit crumble that tastes amazing and is kind to your waistline. By the way, my kitchen smelt all kinds of dreamy after cooking this bad boy, mmm.
Based on my recipe, the whole crumble only has 351 calories.

I hope you enjoyed this 'Healthy crumble recipe' post, Are you a crumble fan like me? What's your favourite winter warming dessert? Will you be recreating my healthy crumble at home?
I'd love to know, leave me a lovely comment below.

Let's be friends!

Love Laurenx

2 comments:

Hello you lovelies! Thank you for taking the time to leave a lovely comment on my blog! I appreciate and read every single comment, I will always try my best to reply as quickly as I can.
Feel free to tweet me @clumsybaby if you have question, query or just want to chit chat.

Lauren xx