Tuesday 11 August 2015

Lifestyle: Summer Highs and Lows

I love summer. The sun is shining, there is a lovely cool breeze, and you can finally whip your legs out, without the prospect of frostbite. But there are some downsides to the summer time. 
So I thought I would share with you, some of my summer highs and lows. (aka a bit of a moan)

Let's get started...
Highs

Ice cream
The most refreshing treat when the weather is warm. I love trying new flavours, I'm partial to a classic vanilla, crunchy honeycomb or something all kinds of chocolatey. There's not much that can beat a creamy, proper Devonshire ice cream! Except perhaps Italian gelato... mmm.

Picnics
A cute basket, preferably wicker or something ridiculously Pinterest, checked blankets, mini sandwiches, fancy crisps galore and bite-sized treats. What's not to love?

Beach days
There's nothing better than lying on a beach all day. Fact.
It's one of the rare times that you can tune out from real life, work stress, social media and all distractions. It's a time to just relax, unwind, lose yourself in a good book, and maybe catch a tan.

Walks
I love going for walks at any time of the year, but in the summer in particular, as it's warmer, sunnier and completely picturesque. 
I love to walk by the sea, in the woods and one of my favourite local walks, the Valley of the Rocks, is beautiful. 

Fresh food
I don't know why but food even tastes fresher in the summertime. Fruits, vegetables and brightly coloured salads. Heaven. Don't even get me started on fresh watermelon... *insert heart eyed emoji*

Lows

Flies
My biggest summer bug bear (see what I did there) is flies. They are bloody everywhere!
I wake up and go to make myself some breakfast, there they are buzzing around my yoghurt. 
I go to rustle up some lunch, and sure enough there they are again, hovering over my sandwich. 
God forbid I attempt to make dinner.... flies are definitely the enemy. 

Bed time
I really struggle to sleep in the summertime, as it's so hot and sticky in bed. 
There's also no refreshing cool side of the pillow, just a slightly sweaty side...

Too much skin
Goodness me, some ladies do reveal far too much of their anatomy in the summertime.
I'm all for denim shorts, cute skater skirts and floaty dresses, as it's too warm for jeans, but when your shorts are so super, duper tight and teeny weeny, that I can see what you had for lunch, there's a line that needs to be drawn. 

British summers
When us Brits talk about 'summer' we are using the term quite loosely. 
As I type this we are mid-way through August, and it's already rained twice today. 
Don't get me wrong, I love living in England, but I do wish we could at least have a few weeks of sunshine, without any clouds/rain/wind/fog/hail.
*Wishful thinking*


I hope you enjoyed this 'Summer Highs and Lows' post.
What are some of your summer highs and lows?

I'd love to know, leave me a lovely comment below.

Want to connect?

Love Laurenx

7 comments:

  1. I know your pain with flies! They are driving me crazy, they just dont die!

    emyii90.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I know, they are bloody everywhere! x

      Delete
  2. It's not just the ladies that show too much skin, I've seen far more of some men than I care for! Hayfever is definitely a low point of summer I'm sure many people agree.
    www.racheleiwood@blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post, it's so fun!!! I must admit I've got to agree with you about perhaps a little too much skin can be on show!! One of my summer highs has to be how light it is in the morning and evening, it makes the day feel so lovely and long! Though I have to admit, I am looking forward to AW because I love all of my dark shades and chunky jumpers!!xx

    Honeypot Blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! So true, I love the bright evenings, perfect for walks :) I'm the same, I love a berry lip and a cosy jumper! :) xx

      Delete

Hello you lovelies! Thank you for taking the time to leave a lovely comment on my blog! I appreciate and read every single comment, I will always try my best to reply as quickly as I can.
Feel free to tweet me @clumsybaby if you have question, query or just want to chit chat.

Lauren xx