Friday 15 May 2015

That Foodie Feeling #3: I've Come Over All Mediterranean

Well hello there...

I am a huge fan of Greek food. I have been to Greece many times as a child, and the food was always delicious! I love how everything is always so fresh. The bread, the dips, the salads, and there's always an abundance of fresh fruits.
So, I thought I would share with you today, a little 'Greek inspired' dish of mine, which is perfect for lunch or dinner. 
It's a super simple dish to make, hardly any effort is required, and it's under 500 calories!

Let's get started...



You will need:
1 wholemeal pitta bread 
2 frozen falafels
 (You could always make your own, but I'm not that skilled in the kitchen...)
Feta cheese
1 tomato
Salad leaves

(You can add anything else you like, cucumber and olives are both tasty!)

1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Fan / 200 degrees Electric / Gas mark 6
(Timing depends on your oven, here's a conversion guide to give you a helping hand)

2. Put your pitta bread in the toaster, or under the grill to warm it through.
Then slice it open, and leave to one side.

3. Chop your feta cheese in to chunks, and slice the tomato.

4. Put your falafels on to a baking tray lined with baking paper, and cook them in the oven for about 14 minutes, until they are crispy on the outside.

5. Once your falafels are cooked, it's time to create your pitta pocket!
Add your salad leaves to your pitta bread, along with the tomato and falafels. Then sprinkle your feta cheese on top.

6. Serve and enjoy! 
I love having this super simple dish for a tasty lunch. But I also like to have it for dinner, with sweet potato fries on the side.

Optional sweet potato fries:
Chop your sweet potato in to fries, put them into a microwave safe bowl, and cook them for 3 - 5 minutes, to soften the potato. 
Heat your frying pan on the hob, and add some coconut oil (I love Lucy Bee, but you can use any brand, or substitute it for olive oil)
Once your oil is melted, add your sweet potato fries to your pan, and lightly fry them for about 10 minutes, or until they are lovely and crispy.

Calorie breakdown based on my recipe
Pitta bread - 151 calories
Falafels (2) - 45 calories
Salad leaves (25g) - 6 calories
Tomato - 16 calories
Light feta cheese (20g) - 40 calories
Sweet potato - 130 calories
Lucy bee coconut oil - 54 - 100 calories (depending on how much you use)
Total: 442 calories approx

I hope you enjoyed this 'Mediterranean inspired dish' What do you think of my recipe?
Are you as obsessed with sweet potato fries as I am? Or perhaps you are also a fan of Greek food?

I'd love to know, leave me a lovely comment below.

Want to connect?

Love Laurenx

2 comments:

  1. I love following your insta for your food posts and adore that you've actually given us the recipe to make your delicious dishes! I've got such a think for sweet potato fries atm! Great post!!xx

    Honeypot Blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you lovely, I'm so glad you enjoy my food snaps on instagram! :) Sweet potato fries are the one! If you give them a try, let me know what you think :) xx

      Delete

Hello you lovelies! Thank you for taking the time to leave a lovely comment on my blog! I appreciate and read every single comment, I will always try my best to reply as quickly as I can.
Feel free to tweet me @clumsybaby if you have question, query or just want to chit chat.

Lauren xx